When buying upholstered furniture, it is worth remembering that over time the upholstery loses its original brightness, becomes dull. Also, no product is safe from the appearance of various spots on it. Therefore, any furniture requires careful, proper and constant care. The best option is professional care. But such a service is quite expensive, so it is not in great demand.
You can clean the stains or return the original brightness to the upholstery yourself. You do not need to purchase special cleaners.
How to refresh the color of a sofa upholstery without store tools
Before starting to clean the upholstery, furniture must be prepared. To do this, remove all small debris and dust with a vacuum cleaner or brush with rough bristles.
You also need to check the reaction of the material to the substance used. It is necessary to apply it to a small area of furniture and look at the change in color and texture. If nothing happened, then the product is suitable for use.
The way you care for the upholstery depends on the material from which it is made.
There are several ways to restore the original brightness of the upholstery made of fabric. Choosing the most suitable depends on how much the fabric has faded.
This option is a rather delicate way to restore the brightness of the upholstery. The procedure is as follows:
- First you need to prepare a solution. To do this, take vinegar and water. One part of vinegar will need four parts of water.
- In the resulting solution, you need to wet a soft cloth.
- With a damp cloth, thoroughly wipe the entire surface of the upholstery.
For one glass of water you need to take one teaspoon of soda. Soda must be stirred until completely dissolved. Then wet a soft cloth in the solution and wipe the furniture upholstery.
The following method is no less popular. To prepare the solution you will need:
- grated soap - 25 gr;
- glycerin - 100 ml;
- hot water - 1 liter.
First you need to completely dissolve the soap in hot water, leave the soap solution until it cools completely. Then introduce glycerin into it. The resulting composition should be applied using a sponge, previously whipping it until a foam appears. After application, you need to quickly rub the surface, while avoiding excessive wetting of the fabric.
This is a very delicate material, which must be cleaned carefully and accurately. Otherwise, the product will be damaged.
To restore the brightness of velvet, you need vinegar, water and salt:
- 2 tablespoons of salt and vinegar should be dissolved in warm water;
- moisten the cotton cloth, squeeze it slightly and wipe the upholstery thoroughly;
- further, you need to carefully knock out the furniture - you must do this until dirt appears on the fabric;
- the cloth should be rinsed in a solution, put on the upholstery and knocked out again;
- repeat the procedure until no more traces of dirt appear on the cloth.
Typically, to care for leather furniture, it is enough to periodically wipe it with a damp cloth. But if there is a need for more thorough care, then you should use glycerin soap.
Soap must be applied to a damp cloth and thoroughly treat the entire surface. Then you need to rinse the cloth and wipe the upholstery again to remove residual solution.
Attention! Leather furniture cannot be cleaned with ordinary detergents!
To return the furniture to its original brightness, you can use a steam generator or a steamer. To do this, treat the entire surface with hot steam for several minutes.
What can not be done with the upholstery
If necessary, restore the former brightness of upholstered furniture, remember that you cannot use all the methods at once. A large number of different substances will only harm the upholstery. Also, do not do the following:
- Humidify the furniture. Excessive moisture will cause mold and mildew.
- Apply undiluted substances. When using chemical reagents, you can spoil the material.
- Blow dry. Accelerated drying can lead to stains.
General guidelines for the upholstery of upholstered furniture
Proper and regular care significantly increases the life of upholstered furniture. Following simple recommendations, you can significantly reduce the cost of caring for upholstered furniture:
- Purely where they do not litter. Do not eat on the couch. This will eliminate the appearance of garbage and various stains.
- Dust removal. Vacuum or knock out furniture regularly. Otherwise, if even a small amount of moisture appears, the accumulated dust will turn into a stain of dirt.
- Timely stain removal. Old pollution has spoiled more than one piece of furniture. This is because strong cleaning agents are required to eliminate them. The use of such substances can lead to the formation of bald spots or holes. Therefore, it is extremely important to remove the spots that have appeared on time.
It is quite simple to return to its former brightness upholstery. Cleaning does not require a lot of time and does not take much effort. The main thing is to look after a sofa or an armchair correctly and regularly. This will increase the life of the product.
If none of the methods helped, then you need to contact the professionals.