Laying linoleum is the easiest way to update the floor surface, while obtaining a high-quality coating. But before proceeding directly to the installation, you should carefully consider some points. The first of these is a coating option: household or semi-commercial, on “foam” or “pile”. The next is preliminary preparation of the surface in order to subsequently adhere the coating. The linoleum life and the appearance of the floor after repair will depend on your choice.
Considering the first paragraph, you should be aware that this material is divided into classes 21 to 33, while household appliances are marked 21, 22, 23, and its security increases with an increase in class. It is also worth noting that it is better to choose linoleum, which is produced by a pressed method: it will be easy to clean and quite strong. Next, you should pay attention to the basis of the material. It should be noted that the base of artificial felt gives this coating greater strength.
REFERENCE! A prerequisite for the long-term use of the coating is to lay it on an absolutely flat surface. The floor can be leveled using chipboard or OSB. If this is not done, then in the protruding parts of the linoleum will quickly become worthless.
How to choose a glue
Adhesive coating is not such a mandatory rule. It is carried out mainly in the following cases:
- The area of the premises exceeds ten squares. Over a large space, the coating web has the risk of moving and forming ugly waves or, at all, tearing;
- Linoleum is not stacked in a single sheet. This happens in cases where the room has an irregular geometric shape or non-standard dimensions (for example, 5.5mx6m).
To fix this coating, manufacturers produce two types of adhesives:
- The reaction are made on the basis of epoxy resin. They are more expensive in value. Also have a pronounced chemical smell;
- Dispersion formulations are obtained by mixing water, acrylic and cellulose glycolic acid. This mixture is odorless and affordable. But does not tolerate low temperatures. When freezing, its composition is destroyed.
Dispersion Adhesive Assortment
Currently there are several types of suitable glue for carrying out these works:
- PVA. This is exactly the composition that we used to use in everyday life for various tasks. Remarkable in that, if necessary, it is easy to remove;
- Acrylate. This composition is best suited for use in rooms with a high load on the flooring: kitchen, hallway;
- Bustilate. Ideal for fixing material on the basis of artificial felt;
- Bituminous mastic. Another good composition for bonding a felt-based coating. Also, it will smooth out small irregularities in the wooden floor.
Reference! Before gluing, the material must be given time to straighten and take an even shape. To do this, spread it for several hours indoors.
Why and why you can not glue linoleum to a wooden floor
For fixing linoleum to the surface, reaction types of glue are not suitable. There are several reasons why they are not used for this task:
- These compounds have a sharp, toxic odor that can stay in the room for a long time;
- This option is flammable;
- Also, this composition is explosive.
The direct purpose of this substance is a reliable joint connection. That is why the second name of such compounds is “cold welding”.
In conclusion, let me give you some useful suggestions for flooring:
- You can level the wooden floor with a planer. Walk them across the boards several times to get rid of bumps;
- It is not worth gluing linoleum to the painted surface, since over time it will begin to lag behind the tree, nullifying all your work;
- Before installation, make sure that the floor surface is absolutely clean. Even slight rubbish will be felt through the surface of the coating;
- Before fixing the floor, it is advisable to degrease;
- It is not necessary to apply the substance on the entire surface of the floor, it is enough to smear the surface around the perimeter and diagonals.