The lonely mirror on the wall looks inconspicuous. To make it not only fit into the interior, but also become a bright accent, you can try to make a composition of several reflective surfaces. Well, or do decoration. Decorate the mirror with your own hands is quite possible. Moreover, you can choose any decor and design, but there are many options.
The main methods of decoration:
- manual coloring;
- applying stickers and films;
- frame creation;
- curly cutting;
- diamond engraving.
At home, we implement any design of the listed options with the exception of diamond engraving. You can even carry out matting and cut out an unusual figure from the mirror canvas.
How to decorate a mirror
The easiest way is to glue the edges of the mirror with something, that is, draw a border. Useful here:
- scattering of sequins;
- colored stones;
It makes sense to go the other way and take as a basis not decorative elements, but the most ordinary improvised things and start decorating. So, it’s definitely worth composing a composition of colored shoelaces, laying out a floral pattern from them, based on photos found or your own imagination. Flowers from egg stands also look interesting, but here you have to work with scissors first.
Well, the rope, laid around an oval mirror in 2-3 rows, will give the accessory a marine mood. The loop from the same rope will enhance the effect. For it, you can hang a finished accessory.
Note! You can upholstery the mirror frame and furniture in the room with the same textile material. With this approach, the mirror surface will fit perfectly into the interior.
Decoration with luminous stickers.
Mirror stickers are also available among interior stickers. Some of them are designed to create a plot drawing, others imitate the frame, others represent an angular or rounded pattern. There are also those that adhere completely to the entire reflective surface. Often they split the mirror according to the mosaic principle. After using them, the result is a glowing in the dark picture, the radius of which is increased due to the reflective surface.
Recommendations and comments on the work:
- so that the sticker fits well, before gluing it, clean the mirror from dust and dirt, and also degrease it;
- alcohol and ammonia are well degreased in glass (must be diluted before use, and the rooms should be thoroughly ventilated after use);
- if the sticker is on the mounting film, then remove the sticker after gluing and stroking the sticker with your fingers;
- tenacity with the surface directly depends on how you press and iron the sticker in the first few after applying it.
Also, some people have a problem with the glow. Everything is simple here: the luminous elements of the decor require light "recharging". The cheaper the sticker is coated, the shorter the period of its operation after "recharging". The simplest and most budget options will emit light 20-30 minutes.
Important! In a room in which light is rarely turned on for a long time and there are no windows, luminous stickers will look like ordinary ones. There will be no radiation from them.
Now frosted glass and reflective surfaces at the peak of popularity. In the workshop, several thousand will be taken for such a transformation, the costs of independent execution will be much more modest. You will have to spend money on the following materials and tools:
- stencil drawing on duct tape (look at hardware stores);
- mounting film (must be the same size as the mirror);
- matting paint (normal will not work);
- brush, sponge or sponge for applying a matting mixture.
The procedure itself is as follows:
- pry off with a fingernail and remove all the inserts from the stencil;
- the protective layer at the mounting film is removed;
- the mounting film is placed on top of the stencil (and thereby they are glued together);
- the protective layer is removed from the stencil;
- the stencil itself is glued to the mirror;
- the sticker is carefully ironed with a roller;
- after it is snug against the mirror, you can remove the mounting film;
- matting paint is applied with a sponge;
- the time period specified by the instructions is expected (usually it takes about 20 minutes);
- paint is completely removed with a sponge;
- its remnants are washed away;
- Screen film is removed from the mirror.
Important! To ensure that the film adheres well and evenly to the stencil, and then lies on a reflective surface without tubercles, work together. Glue 1 edge first, then the middle, then the second. Walk with a roller at the end.
Option 1: Ceiling frames of a square or rectangular mirror
Necessary materials and tools:
- plywood or cardboard for the base;
- ceiling baguettes (will become a border);
- glue (preferably silicone);
- paints (black and silver);
- silver lace (or ordinary, but painted in a steel shade);
- brushes (2 pcs, hard and soft);
- knife (2 pcs, kitchen and clerical).
Algorithm of actions:
- cut 4 bars from baguettes (must fit the mirror in size);
- make a square or rectangle from the bars;
- give the edges of the bars a beveled shape (due to this, the parts will begin to fit better together);
- glue the bars from baguettes (you get a blank for the frame);
- after drying from the wrong side, putty joints;
- putty joints on the outside;
- putty the inner edge of the frame;
- after drying, paint the workpiece in black (pay special attention to the inside, it also needs to be painted evenly);
- after drying, apply a layer of silver mixture from above (at this stage it is better to use a sponge);
- coated with acrylic varnish;
- cut the base out of plywood (the size should be slightly larger than the frame);
- make holes in the substrate for which the mirror will be hung;
- stick a mirror in the center;
- at the edges of the mirror lay out and fasten the silver lace;
- fix the frame with glue;
- after the glue dries, the substrate is plastered, and then painted black on all sides.
Method 2: from the rings for a round mirror
You will need paint, a base for the mirror, a small skin, a glue gun, plastic pipes and a tool for cutting them.
Step-by-step decoration instructions:
- cut pipes of the same size from pipes;
- walk the skin on the rings from the outside;
- lay out a picture from the rings and the base under the mirror;
- fasten the structure according to the pattern;
- stick a mirror.
Some go further and after gluing the base and rings color the resulting design.
The easiest way to visually age a painted wooden frame. To do this, just walk along the contour with sandpaper. After such a manipulation, attritions will occur, which from the outside can be taken as signs of the "age" of the accessory.
Important! Scraped areas can not be left in this form. Be sure to soak them with a water-repellent composition.
The unpainted frame is treated differently. First, they make brashing with firing, after they sand the surface and prepare it for painting. However, the paint itself does not need to be allowed to dry. After applying it, immediately walk along the frame with a damp cloth. After that, in places, a natural woody pattern appears.
In work you need to use silicone adhesives. It is implemented through construction stores, in tubes and pistols. The last form of release is more suitable: it is easier to handle, it provides spot application of the composition. However, the cost of such products is higher.
The type of silicone sealant also affects the price. It is neutral and acidic. The latter is best used outside the living room due to the strong and persistent smell and applied to unpainted surfaces. If the decorative element is coated with varnish or paint, then neutral silicone should be bought. It costs more than an analogue, but after it you don’t have to ventilate the room for a long time.
Time also plays a role in terms of setting speed. Instant gluing is not required for home decoration - there is always a chance that something will have to be corrected, transferred and supplemented. However, long-setting compositions should not be bought, because of this property, the decoration process will be delayed.
Other helpful notes:
- Before work, you should check whether the paint changes color when applied to a mirror surface and doesn’t see through it;
- apply paint, mat, stick stickers can only be on a clean and degreased coating;
- it is better to work with latex medical gloves, so do not leave fingerprints on the mirror;
- glue or polymer gilding of the frame is characterized by low moisture resistance, therefore the product at the end will have to be additionally treated with gel polish;
- when decorating with large volume objects, you need to be prepared for the fact that in the end the mirror will be lost against the background of the decorations;
- the reflective surface is often washed, therefore it is necessary to worry about imparting moisture-protective properties to the structure;
- asymmetric and curly mirrors rarely look beautiful within traditional forms;
- the drawing is done by stained glass paints or liquid gold leaf;
- spray paints are suitable for impregnating jewelry, but not for working with the reflective surface itself;
- the substrate to the mirrors without an amalgam is fixed with liquid nails.
If you are planning to solve the issue of moisture resistance of jewelry, start from the type of material. In the case of paper, paraffin or beeswax will help. The tree will become waterproof after being treated with tung oil.