Ottoman - an interesting and versatile home solution that fits seamlessly into any room, especially if its quadrature is not too large. Properly selected, the furniture gives the furniture a finished look, creates a unique atmosphere of coziness and comfort. Despite the fact that there are a lot of products in furniture stores, many of them either do not fit in size or color, or raise doubts about their quality. But do not be upset about this - the simplicity of the design allows you to make an ottoman with your own hands, which will require very little material and patience.
Choosing a design and design
A spacious ottoman berth is framed by one or several sides. Thanks to the wooden base, the products have high strength and durability. Do-it-yourself ottoman opens up a lot of opportunities, because there are no restrictions and furniture can be given any, the craziest look.
Determining the construction and design, you should be guided by the general style of the room, the prevailing shades and materials. In addition, the size of the room is also important - a large ottoman simply cannot be placed anywhere. If folding furniture is planned, then it is necessary to calculate the amount of space required for the transformation.
DIY wooden ottoman
When all the thoughts and planning are left behind, it is time to begin to implement the plan. All you need is a little free space and materials with tools. Some of them can be at hand, others are easy to get at a hardware store.
We prepare materials and tools
The base material is most important, because it affects the strength of the structure and its quality. You can choose one of several popular options:
- Array An expensive solution, but at the same time reliable and durable. If the size of the furniture is small, then an array is the best option.
- Laminated by a chipboard. A simple and affordable material that does not have a special strength and an assortment of colors. It may also contain harmful substances.
- Furniture shield. It is made only from natural components, which makes it environmentally friendly, but at the same time unreasonably expensive solution. Almost inferior in characteristics to the array.
As for additional materials, we will need: a wooden beam, a filler (synthetic winterizer, foam rubber), fabric for decoration and other accessories to your taste (buttons, colored threads, fasteners, etc.).
Work is impossible without tools such as: pencil and tape measure, square, screwdriver, self-tapping screws, jigsaw, furniture stapler.
Assembly diagrams and drawings
A diagram of the assembly of a rectangular ottoman of a simple design is possible for everyone. The drawing is carried out on a sheet of paper, all dimensions, locations of fixtures, finishing accessories, as well as the height of the legs, etc. are affixed to it. If you are not looking for easy ways, then select the appropriate option from the many presented on the Internet. In addition, you can turn to the services of a specialist who will develop an individual drawing taking into account the specifics of your premises, its design, personal wishes. A simple single ottoman made of wood is very convenient, the photo can be viewed below.
Step-by-step instructions for making a simple single ottoman
Certain skills are not necessary for assembling an ottoman, the main thing is to strictly follow the sequence of actions and constantly monitor compliance with all sizes indicated in the drawing. The process consists of the following steps:
- The foundation. The frame is assembled from plywood sheets 4 mm thick and boards 20x200 mm, which are fastened together by self-tapping screws or bolts. To increase the strength of the furniture, it is recommended that the joined surfaces be pre-coated with PVA glue. Further, cuts are made in the boards, in which the rails will be installed, in increments of 200 mm. Plywood is nailed to the resulting frame, foam rubber spreads on it and is covered with a fabric cover. Its outer part is tucked to the frame and fixed with a stapler.
- Seat. To make it unusual and stylish, small holes are made in the plywood, through which a screed is made with a needle and thread, which also keeps the base from shifting. The durability of wooden elements will increase the coating with their protective varnish.
- Upholstery. Most often, a whole piece of material is used for this, but it is possible to decorate with rags, which will give the ottoman originality - you will definitely not find such upholstery anywhere else. Which fabric to take is up to you to decide - you can use old unnecessary bedspreads if you don’t want to spend money on purchased materials.
- Completion of work. If desired, the couch can be equipped with drawers, which are easy to assemble from boards fastened together by self-tapping screws. For their simple extension, a special roll-out mechanism with rollers is used or the guide rails are simply screwed on.
Besides the fact that the self-made ottoman looks unusual and stylish, it will not take a lot of time and money to make it. In addition, its quality will be incomparably higher than that of the purchased one, and relaxing on furniture made by your own hands is much more fun.