Today, the irons of our grandmothers are being replaced by multifunctional devices, even whole ironing machines. If earlier you had to spray unruly folds, use gauze to protect the fabric, then with the advent of steam irons, everything became much easier.
Features, advantages and disadvantages of steam irons
Devices with water tanks are familiar to every housewife. But with such an iron, even if it is expensive, with a ceramic or Teflon-coated sole, not all fabrics can be ironed with high quality. For delicate items made of thin material, a steam generator is better suited. It can be used both horizontally, on an ironing board, and vertically, hanging things on a coat hanger.
The steam iron kit includes:
- a container with water and a heating element installed on a board or on a table;
- device for regulating heating;
- A lightweight version of the classic iron, connected to the tank with a flexible hose.
Under the influence of PETN, the liquid heats up and enters an iron through a special tube. Further, the hot steam enters the fabric, smoothing it.
The advantages of the steamer are:
- The absence of a hot metal sole that can damage delicate fabrics.
- The temperature of the steam in the steam generator is much higher than in the iron, which allows not only ironing, but also removing dirt, refreshing color and fighting in dust mites and harmful bacteria.
- Now you do not need to constantly add water, because the tank of the steamer holds from 1 to 3 liters of liquid. This is indispensable if you need to overload a lot of things.
- The device is equally effective in both horizontal and vertical operation. This will allow steaming coats, fur products and leather jackets and raincoats, which are simply impossible to iron.
IMPORTANT! See if special water filters are included. With them, you can use ordinary tap water in the steam generator, otherwise you will have to pour distilled water.
How to choose an iron with a steam generator for the home
All modern models of steamers are divided into professional (with a steel sole, interchangeable overlays on it, increased tank capacity and high heater power) and household, designed for everyday ironing at home. Consider the second in more detail. Household irons with a steam generator differ:
- By heating power. The higher it is, the faster the device will be ready to work, but it will also spend more energy.
- By the power of steam. This indicator is measured in Bars and is indicated in the device passport. The higher the pressure, the more dense fabrics can be steamed.
- According to the material of the sole. The most inexpensive models are available with an aluminum sole. It is easily scratched, it can damage the fabric and leave a gray coating. If there are no special nozzles in the iron set, then it is better to choose models with a ceramic or Teflon base.
- For the convenience of work. Hold the device in your hand and feel whether the handle is comfortable, whether the palms are tight, whether the hand is slipping.
- By tank capacity. The more water you can pour into the tank, the longer the device can work without stopping.
- For safety. Ideally, the device should be equipped with overheat protection functions, automatic shutdown during long pauses in operation, and shutdown of heating the tank without water.
IMPORTANT! It is worth paying attention to the shape of the nose and the location of the holes. A narrow long nose is more convenient to iron children's things, it easily maneuvers between buttons. Devices with a blunt nose are ideal for steaming outerwear and ironing bedding. The more holes on the sole, the more steam is released at the same time, but the water in the tank is also consumed faster.
In any case, no matter what model of iron with a steamer you choose, carefully read the instructions and follow the manufacturer's recommendations. This ensures that the device lasts a long time and does not fail due to your fault.