Sometimes, it is necessary to check the pressure switch, because the stable operation of the machine, as well as its service life, depends on it. But the money to pay for the work of the master is not always enough.
If the warranty period for the washing machine has ended, you can check the pressure switch yourself. But, before that, you should learn more about the device itself, as well as know its location, functions and operating principle.
What is a pressure switch
Before you perform any actions with the device, you should understand what it is all about? Pressure switch - This is a sensor that detects the water level, as well as controlling its amount.
The location of the appliance in the washing machine
Most people think that the pressure switch should be located in the tank itself, believing that it performs the work according to the “float principle”. But this is not at all true.
As mentioned above, the sensor operates using pressure, not water. That is why it is located not inside the tank, but outside, in its upper part. This arrangement allows the sensor to avoid direct contact with water. In some washing machines, the sensor may be located below the tank.
The principle of operation of the device
The sensor has the shape of a round element made of plastic. Special wires and a tube are connected to the device. The tube is connected to a pressure vessel.
When there is a process of supplying water to the tank, a certain pressure level is supplied through the connected tube. There is a closure of the contacts, which “tell” the machine that the level necessary for washing has been reached.
Symptoms that indicate a device malfunction
A malfunction of the pressure switch can lead to a failure in its stable operation. Therefore, you should periodically "listen" to the machine, and monitor its work as a whole.
There are several signs by which you can determine that the device has become unusable.
The main signs of sensor malfunction:
- The washing machine starts working, or activates the heater, in the absence of water in the tank.
- The tank begins to overflow with water, but this is still not enough for washing.
- In the “rinse” mode, the pump starts, or vice versa, the water supply.
- The PETN fuse trips, as a result of which a rather strong burning smell appears.
- The machine does not work in the spin mode.
If suddenly such signs are observed in the operation of the machine, then it is time to check the operation of the pressostat. You can do it yourself. To do this, arm with a screwdriver, preferably with various interchangeable nozzles. This is necessary because many manufacturers of washing machines use fasteners equipped with special heads to protect the appliance.
How to check the pressure switch yourself
If the signs described above were noticed during the operation of the machine, then it is time to check the operation of this device.
Checking the pressure switch is quite simple. To do this, do the following:
- To start the test, you should dismantle the top panel of the washing machine itself. To do this, unscrew their panels with special bolts, after which the panel is moved. In most models of machines, the pressure switch is located in the side wall, namely, in its upper part.
- Most often, experts advise unscrewing the pressure switch. Most often, the device is fixed with a few screws. Unscrewing them is quite simple.
- After access to the device is obtained, it is necessary to disconnect the tube and all contacts from the device itself. The tube is firmly fixed using special clamps. They should be carefully disconnected. If this does not work, then the clamps can be cut, and subsequently replaced with new ones.
After the dismantling is completed, you must do the following:
- There should be no damage or cracks on the sensor body. You should also check the tube, and the insulation material of the wiring itself. In the event that blockages and minor damage are found, then all this should be eliminated. Also clean the sensor contacts.
- Now you can proceed to check the operation of the sensor itself. To check, most often, they use a ten-centimeter hose, which is similar in diameter to the removed hose. The hose should be connected to the fitting of the device. After which, you should blow it strongly. At this point, clicks should be heard from the appliance, the amount of which will depend on the force with which you are blowing.
- If the clicks are inaudible, then most likely the device is faulty and you need to replace it with a new one.
In order to finally make sure that the device is faulty, you should measure its resistance using a special device - a multimeter. In the case when the “resistance” of the device remains the same, the sensor can be thrown out.
The pressure switch is necessary for the operation of the entire washing machine. It depends on him her work. In the case when the device becomes faulty, the operation of the entire machine is disrupted. It is impossible to wash without a sensor, as well as a breakdown of the sensor can lead to damage to the machine itself.
In this case, you definitely cannot do without buying a new washing machine. Replacing the sensor is quite troublesome, but quite simple. To avoid its breakdown, you should monitor the operation of the machine, and eliminate all malfunctions in time.