Automatic washing machines have long since become a mandatory and even standard attribute that speaks of a comfortable human life in modern society. Older generations no longer even think about remembering hand wash.
This is all good, but there are also situations in which the washing machine may stop functioning. And these problems are possible. And the main cause of breakdowns is the breakdown of the heater, or a tubular electric heater.
How to check the heater on a washing machine (breakdown diagnosis)
It is clear that without adequate heating, washing almost any clothing and fabric will be ineffective.
And, although delicate washing means washing in cold water (up to 40 degrees), most of the things are washed at a water temperature of up to 95 degrees. Only in hot water can any, even hard-to-remove stains, be removed regardless of their volume.
You can detect a malfunction in the heater in one of two ways:
15-20 minutes after the start of washing at high temperature, you must touch the glass. It should be at least warm. If the glass is cold, it means that the washing machine does not heat the water.
Second way - after washing at elevated temperatures, the laundry also remains cold. Such a test will be true if the rinse has not been set to rinse the washed laundry in cool or cold water.
An important point: the vast majority of washing machines are equipped with an automatic diagnostic system. Therefore, if there is such a system in the machine, it will report a malfunction with the corresponding error code.
Determine the location of the heater
In order to find out exactly where the tubular electric heater is located, You can use one of three ways:
- Determination of the location of the heating element "by eye". If the washing machine has a very large cover on the back wall, then this means that the heater is located at the back;
- Locating the heater by brand. In washing machines of manufacturers such as Indesit, Ariston, as well as in Whirlpool and Candy washing machines, the heater is located at the rear, and in the Bosch, Samsung and LG washing machine, it is located mainly in the front. If the washing machine has a vertical load, the heater can also be located on the side. In order to get to the heater, you need to remove the side panel (this is one of the easiest ways to get to the heater);
- Determination of the location of the heating element by the experience method. Due to the fact that the back cover is easily dismantled, it is recommended to start the analysis from this step. If the heater does not appear there, then this means that it is located in the front, so you need to disassemble the front panel.
How to disassemble the machine
First you need to prepare the following tools:
- Slotted and Phillips screwdrivers;
- Wrenches with different sizes;
- Pliers, as well as pliers and nippers.
An important point: all tools must be adequately insulated.
Disassembling the washing machine must begin with the removal of the upper part, that is, the first thing you need to remove the cover of the washing machine.
Almost always, the cover is attached to the washing machine with two bolts located on the back side. In order to unscrew these bolts, you must use a Phillips screwdriver. After that, push the cover of the machine from the front to the back. Now the cover can be removed.
The next step is to dismantle the dispenser. Most often, in order to remove the dispenser, you must click on the point located in the middle of the plastic tray, and then pull this tray. Also, after that it is necessary to unscrew the screws that fix the control panel.
After dismantling the clamp, it is necessary to remove the cuff located on the front wall of the machine. The next step after this is to unscrew the two bolts that secure the hatch and lock it.
After that, it remains only to remove the fixing parts and remove the front wall.
Removing ten from the washing machine;
As a general algorithm, you must do the following:
- To completely disconnect the equipment, that is, in this case, disconnect it from water and power;
- Unscrew the fixing screws holding the top cover of the washing machine in one position;
- Disconnect all available latches securing the compartment for receiving powder;
- Remove the clamp removed in the sealing gum of the hatch. To remove the clamp, loosen the spring;
- Remove the seal from the front panel, and then fill the seal into the tank;
- Disconnect the wires from the hatch blocking system;
- Unscrew the self-tapping screws fixing the front part.
Do-it-yourself ten replacement
For independent replacement of the heating element it is necessary:
- Disconnect the machine from power;
- Rid the machine of water. This can be done by unscrewing the filter cover to drain the water;
- Remove the terminals from the heater;
- Unscrew the central fixing nut;
- It is also necessary to press in the axis on which the nut and washer are fixed. In order to do this, you must either press the axis in, or gently squeeze it out with a light tapping with a hammer;
- The heater is located on the seal, and it is the seal that is an obstacle to the extraction of the heater. To remove the seal, it is necessary to pry it alternately from different sides.
Unforeseen situations (important points)
Among the important points, the following should be noted:
- It is necessary to install the heater only in the position in which the heater was installed. In order for the heater to work well, it is extremely important to install it smoothly, that is, without displacements and distortions. After installing the heater, it is necessary to tighten all the nuts and assemble the equipment;
- You can diagnose and verify the quality of the heater. You must run the machine in the wash with a temperature of 60 degrees. If the new heater was installed correctly, after 2-3 minutes the hatch window will become warm.
Replacement of ten, depending on the brand of the washing machine (individual features)
Replacing the heater in Samsung
To replace the heater in Samsung you must perform the following steps:
- De-energizing the machine (we are talking about de-energizing the machine from water and electricity);
- Ten is located behind the front panel or under the tank;
- Having found the unit, you need to disconnect the temperature sensors;
- After this, it is necessary to unscrew the heating elements of the mounting and pull out the heating element itself;
- Next, you need to clean the location of the heater from particles;
- The next step is the installation of a new heating element and assembly of the machine.
Replacing the heater in LG
To replace the heater with LG, you must follow these steps:
- The heater is located in the center of the tank, that is, its bottom, so it is necessary to remove the top cover of the machine, and after it - the back wall;
- Next, you need to dismantle the screws that secure the back wall;
- The next step is the dismantling of the heater and installing a new one.
Replacing the heater in Indesit
As for the Indesit typewriter, here it is necessary to look for the heater in the rear of the typewriter. Therefore, you need:
- Disconnect communications;
- Remove the back cover;
- Remove the drive belt;
- TEN is located at the bottom left;
- From the heater you need to disconnect the temperature sensors and wires;
- Next, you need to unscrew the fastener bolts and remove the heater;
- After that, you need to clean the tank and put in a new heater;
- After this, you must repeat the steps in reverse order.
Replacing the heater in Bosch
On a Bosch machine, you need to change the heater as follows:
- The heater is located in front, so the panel must be removed from the latches;
- Next, you need to open the hatch and remove the clamp, as well as the cuffs and the front part;
- The next step is to dismantle the screws on the panel;
- The next step is the removal of the temperature sensor and wires from the heater;
- Removing fasteners from the heater and dismantling the heater itself;
- After this, it is necessary to put the heater and perform the steps in reverse order.
If the machine for some reason does not heat the water, it is likely that the heater has failed. You can replace the heating elements yourself, without resorting to the help of a master.
The most important thing is to adhere to the algorithm of actions and choose a new heater according to the model of the machine for washing clothes in various modes. Correct installation of a new heating element instead of the old one will help get rid of many problems with the machine.