An automatic washing machine facilitates the work of the hostess and saves time. After all, while the laundry is spinning, you can do other household chores. But after a couple of years of operation, the washed clothes get a stale smell, and light things have a grayish tint.
The reason for this phenomenon lies in the pollution of the washing machine, and more precisely in the occurrence of mold. It is the fungal formations that give the laundry an unpleasant smell after washing and partially neutralize the active components of the powders and gels.
But you should not change the unit itself, because mold can be removed with the help of home remedies that are in every kitchen and in the first-aid kit.
Mold control methods
When starting to clean the washing machine from fungal stains, it should be remembered that one wash cycle will not help. It is necessary to complete the whole complex, which is aimed at getting rid of mold in all parts of the unit. This includes cleaning the machine itself inside and out, washing the area where it is installed, and preventive measures.
The first steps - this is checking and flushing the filter of the drain pump and at the water supply. To do this, you need:
- In the lower right part, open the cover and unscrew the filter.
- Rinse it under running water.
- Screw back and close cover.
Second step - This is washing the filter in the water supply. Not so much garbage is collected on this net, as on a sink, but it is. Therefore, you need:
- Expand the unit with the back wall towards you.
- Shut off the water supply to the machine.
- Unscrew the hose and pull out the filter screen.
- Rinse it under running water.
- Paste the mesh back.
- Screw on the hose.
Third step - This is the processing of the part where the washing machine is installed. While she is pulled out, it is possible to process surfaces, that is, walls and floor. It is necessary to carefully examine everything for mold. If there are no visible traces, then only preventive measures can be taken. It:
- Rinse the walls and floor with the product that you use constantly for such purposes.
- After 10 minutes, treat the surfaces from the spray with an acetic solution prepared in a one to one ratio.
- Wait until it dries and only then install the unit in place.
If distinct traces of the fungus are observed, then it should be washed with a mixture, regardless of surface. To prepare it you need:
- an aqueous solution of boric acid - 1 tbsp;
- 2 tbsp. pharmacy hydrogen peroxide and ordinary table vinegar;
- 4 tbsp. l water.
Mix and heat all components so that the hand can withstand. Wash off the mold with the mixture and a brush until it disappears completely. If the first time it was not possible to wash the fungal spots, then after a few hours you can repeat the procedure with a freshly prepared product.
Attention! When cleaning the machine from mold, it is recommended to protect your hands with long rubber gloves sold in hardware stores and a face mask to help prevent inhalation of vapors.
You can wipe the washing machine with the same solution if there are traces of mold on it. In the absence of fungus on the surface of the unit, it is enough to wipe it with vinegar, diluted with water in equal proportions. After the above manipulations, you can install the washing machine in place.
Now you need to wash the tray, where the powder is poured and the conditioner is poured. For these purposes, soda or the above mixture with boric acid and an old toothbrush are suitable. With a large amount of fungal spots, you can use "Domestos" diluted with water in equal parts. Wash the tray until clean until plaque and other contaminants disappear. After that, the part must be dried and replaced.
Next step - This is cleaning the inside of the unit. For these purposes, fit:
- chlorine-based detergents;
- lemon acid.
At the initial manifestations of mold, you can use washing at temperatures above 60 degrees, pouring 400 g of citric acid directly into the drum with a volume of 5 kg. If fungal stains have already "lived" for a long time inside the machine, then you can use a chlorine-containing product, for example, Domestos or Dressing duckling with chlorine. It is advisable to open the windows during washing with such preparations.
For radical cleaning of the washing machine you need:
- Pour 1 liter of chlorine in the tray.
- Turn on the unit for a long wash with a temperature of at least 60 degrees.
- After 30-40 minutes, pause and leave the machine for at least 1 hour.
- Then continue the cycle.
- After draining and spinning, upon request of the air conditioner, pour 500 ml of ordinary vinegar into the tray.
- Turn on the rinse.
- It is recommended to rinse 2 more times.
After all the operations, one more thing remains - it is to carefully inspect the sealing gum. If there are still traces of mold on it, then you need to take pharmacy hydrogen peroxide and use a brush to clean the spots. When the fungus on the cuff has not disappeared even after such cleaning, the best way out is to replace it.
Important! The complete procedure for cleaning the washing machine from mold, which is described above, takes a lot of time, so you should be prepared to conduct it from and to, in compliance with all time periods.
To remove mold in a washing machine, you can use:
- table vinegar;
- citric acid;
- copper sulfate;
- hydrogen peroxide;
- an aqueous solution of boric acid;
- special means for cleaning the washing machine.
Starting to clean the unit, it is necessary to establish the degree of fungal infection. If the stain can be wiped off with a damp cloth, then this is the initial stage. With more serious manifestations, the place where the mold appears only brightens slightly. To remove such stains, radical measures with chlorine-containing substances will have to be applied.
Attention! It is contraindicated to use antifungal agents that are intended for the treatment of walls, ceilings or other building surfaces for cleaning a washing machine. The active substance has a more aggressive effect and can damage the parts of the unit.
How to use citric acid, vinegar, peroxide and boric acid is described above, and pulp must be prepared from soda and copper sulfate. For cooking, you should:
- Take 50 g of the substance.
- Dilute with a little water - approximately 2 tablespoons.
- Then mix well to obtain a uniform consistency.
The resulting gruel is good to clean the cuff, tray and other parts of the unit where there are minor fungal formations.
Special products that are specifically designed to clean the machine should be used in accordance with the attached instructions. In this case, you must follow all the precautions described in it.
The most effective tool
As practice shows, one of the most optimal means that destroy the manifestations of mold are citric acid or vinegar. Mistresses give preference to the first, because after its application there remains a more pleasant aroma.
How can I clean the washing unit from mold?
The list of methods that clean the machine from fungal stains is small. After all, the main methods of combating mold are:
- in a wash cycle at high temperature using acids;
- in cleansing with a brush;
- dry wiping the parts of the unit;
- in airing the machine and the room where it is installed.
Mold does not like exposure to acids and high temperatures. Therefore, you can use an ultraviolet lamp, which should be directed to the drum.
You can also act radically with the call of the master at home. The specialist dismantles the washing machine, and the hostess rinses all the details using the above tools. But this method is not cheap and it is worth using it in the case when it is difficult to get to the foci of mold.
Another method to eliminate mold inside the washing unit. It is used only if the machine has been used for a long time and all the means have not led to the desired result. This is a replacement for parts affected by the fungus, more specifically, sealing gum, drain hose and others.
Why does mold appear in the typewriter?
The formation of fungal spots contribute to humidity and twilight. A poor effect on the state of the unit and economical modes in which water does not heat above 40 degrees. In addition, the appearance of mold contributes to:
- rinse aid application;
- lack of descaling of parts by special means;
- the use of powders without bleach;
- frequent use for washing helium products;
- lack of ventilation of the room where the machine is installed;
- constant humidity inside the washer;
- illiterate care of the unit.
What measures will prevent mold?
In order not to have to deal with fungal stains, you need to properly care for the washing machine. I.e:
- Use the wash mode with a temperature above 60 degrees, and even better 90, at least once every 2 weeks. Even if there is no need for such a cycle, you can start it with an empty drum.
- Remove washed clothes from the machine immediately.
- Do not put dirty laundry inside in advance, but only before the process itself.
- Do not use products with a helium base, and if there is no other way out, then start an additional rinse after washing. It should also be done with the use of balms, conditioners and rinses.
- Rinse the powder tray after each wash.
- Use descaling agents periodically and clean the unit. To clean it, just pour 300-400 g of citric acid into the drum and start a cycle with a water temperature of 60 degrees. A similar procedure should be carried out 1-2 times a month. "Anti-scale" are used according to the instructions.
- Clean the filters regularly.
- After washing, wipe all parts of the machine dry with a cloth and leave the doors open or half open.
- Periodically clean tubes and hoses with vinegar and water.
What should be included in the wash cycle?
Each housewife should accustom herself to wash after washing an additional rinse with an empty drum and wipe dry accessible parts. And after the manipulations leave the doors half open.
For prevention, you can apply the reinstallation of the unit. If the machine is in the bathroom, then it is recommended to move it to the kitchen or hallway (depending on the layout and design project). When this is not possible, then forced ventilation must be installed to reduce humidity in the bathroom.
Why should you not leave fungal spots?
Dangermold, wherever it is, in its negative effect on the body. Disputes provoke the appearance of various diseases of the upper respiratory tract in households, namely bronchitis, asthma, tracheitis, allergic reactions, and others.
Getting on the clothes from the parts of the washing machine, mold causes irritation, difficulty breathing and provokes the appearance of respiratory diseases. In addition, clothes after washing do not have a neat appearance, and often an unpleasant smell. And it turns out that dirty clothes look better than washed ones.
If there is mold in the washing machine, in order to achieve quality, the hostesses begin to pour in a greater amount of powder, which leads to increased consumption of funds. And as a result of the high cost of washing. Therefore, to destroy the fungus in the washer will be cheaper than ignoring its presence.
A good housewife is one who knows how to rationally spend the family budget. Having spent a small amount on the purchase of citric acid, vinegar, soda and other means, you can save on fragrant conditioner, washing powder and other preparations. After getting rid of the fungus, there will be no need to neutralize the unpleasant odor that underwear gets in the machine.