Thermos is an indispensable "friend" of the family. And take tea on a trip, and coffee, and herbs for a decoction to steam, and much more. However, an unpleasant odor and moldiness may appear during operation.
Normal washing under running water will not cope with this task. So that you do not have to throw away another good unit and spend money on a new thing, it can and should be saved! In the article, you will learn how to permanently get rid of the smell with a minimum expenditure of energy and monetary units.
We remove the fetid odor from a thermos - the best ways
Every housewife knows that improvised means are the most budgetary and effective ways to solve problems. There is no need to run to the store for chemistry, because all you need is probably in the house.
Sodium bicarbonate (in common people - baking or drinking soda). A multifunctional assistant, it costs a penny and does not pose a danger to human life. Method of use:
- pour boiling water into a thermos, and add one or two tablespoons of soda there;
- close tightly with a lid, wrap in warm clothes. Leave on for 2-3 hours;
- rinse thoroughly, dry;
- soda will help to remove odor, and also clean the inside of mold.
Acid derivatives (citric acid, acetic essence, lemon juice). There is a choice of three positions, they are equally effective, the only difference is that: vinegar has a pungent smell, and lemon has a high cost. Method Application:
- add two tablespoons of acid to the thermos, dilute with a glass of boiling water;
- screw the cap, shake vigorously for 3-5 minutes. Leave on 1-1.5 hours;
- pour out the contents. Rinse and dry well;
- mustard powder. Perfectly cope with the task.
Important! Mustard in the form of a paste is not suitable.
Pour dry powder into the flask, pour warm water, tighten the cap.
- to shake 10-15 times. Leave 1.5-2 hours.
- open, pour out contents, rinse thoroughly and dry.
- salt. Another effective way to eliminate bad smell:
- Pour 5 tablespoons of salt into a thermos and add hot water.
- leave the saline solution for 12-24 hours.
- pour the solution, and rinse the thermos.
Any kind of rice is suitable: round-grain, long-grain, brown, white - no matter what. Rice can remove a slight smell:
- 4-5 tablespoons of rice pour boiling water;
- Close and shake for 5-10 minutes;
- Rinse with cold water and dry;
Carbonated drinks. It is best to use Coca-Cola.
Bring the liquid to a boiling state, then pour it into a thermos, while the lid does not need to be twisted.
Leave on for 10-12 hours.
Rinse the inside, rinse with cold water and dry.
Dishwashing liquid. It will help if mold is the cause of the bad smell. With a special dishwashing brush, you need to wash the thermos until the smell changes to the aroma of the product used. Then rinse the unit with boiling water and gradually lower the degree, in the end the water should be very cold.
Bleach. It will clean the surface of mold and mildew. This method cannot be used if the thermos is made of stainless steel, otherwise the seams will begin to diverge, and the dishes will lose their properties. Pour a small portion of bleach into a vessel, add hot water and leave on 30-45 minutes. Then rinse thoroughly and repeat the procedure, leaving the bleach on 20-25 minutes.
Attention! Only a little concentration! In large volumes, bleach is dangerous!
Odor absorbers. The easiest way is to put an object inside that absorbs unpleasant odors. For example, a crumb of black bread, tablets of activated carbon, a bag of black or green tea. Items are laid on 3-4 hours with replacement later. Ideally, the absorber should be changed 5 times.
Store or home remedies: which is best?
On the shelves in stores there is a wide range of household chemicals. However, it is better to use safe, traditional methods that have been proven over the years. The word "chemistry" speaks for itself, in such products is full of chemicals that do more harm than good. If detergents are poorly washed off, then irreparable harm can be caused. Think about it before purchasing such a product, the fate of your gastrointestinal tract depends on it.
Some Thermos Care Tips
To never have to face a similar problem, try to keep the thermos clean. Simple rules:
- wash dishes immediately after use;
- use a solution of laundry soap;
- the cap also needs care;
- after washing, the thermos needs to be dried for a day;
- it is best to wipe dry and then leave on a dry towel;
- even if you do not need the unit in the near future, you cannot close it tightly with a lid, otherwise the smell cannot be avoided.
The fight against stench and moldiness is easy and simple! Wash dishes in a timely manner, and then in the future such problems will never overtake you. If things urgently appear, there is no time for washing, then unscrew the cap, in the future it will greatly facilitate cleaning.