A blender is a kitchen equipment that opens up a host of possibilities for the hostess. Before you purchase an aggregate, you should carefully study all the information about existing models and their selection criteria.
Blender: description, functions, tasks
A blender is a device that combines a food processor and a mixer. It has knives to grind products and can mix. The blender is able to mix products of different hardness. He can crack the ice. Blender differs from the food processor in compactness. It will take up less space in the kitchen. And its cost is much lower. The device is powered from the network. It is necessary for mixing products, for whipping or grinding.
The functions and tasks of the blender include cooking mousses, creams, mashed soups, sauces. You can make a paste, grind ice and prepare delicious cocktails.
Types of blenders and their use
There are such types of blenders:
- Stationary. It works independently. In it you can prepare cocktails, mashed potatoes, sauces and creams. Grinding them a small amount of food is quite inconvenient. To use, just press the button. It is not necessary to hold a blender in your hands in order to cook something;
- Submersible. It is an elongated device resembling a stick. At its end is a knife. To use, you need to hold it in your hands. In addition to mixing, he copes with the grinding of a small amount of products. This type of blender is popular in cooking for children;
- Combined. Combines the two previous species. You can take out the device and use it separately or mix something in your own bowl. It will cost more than a regular blender. It is worth purchasing only complete with nozzles for various types of cuts.
How to choose a hand blender
To make the right choice, it is recommended to pay attention to the following parameters:
- Wire length. You have to hold the hand blender in your hands, so this indicator significantly affects usability. Check that the length of a particular model is enough so that you can move freely around the kitchen;
- Power. The indicator varies from 140 to 1200 watts. With a power of up to 250 watts, it’s worth choosing for preparing only baby puree. If you are going to grind solid products and ice, choose a blender with a minimum power of 650 watts. For the preparation of the test, models with an indicator of more than 1 thousand watts are suitable;
- Additional nozzles. There are a huge number of them. There must be a “leg” which is a nozzle with knives. Also, a whisk, a mill, a chopper bowl and a vacuum pump can be included in the kit;
Reference! Take an inventory in the kitchen before purchasing a blender. This will help determine the required number of nozzles. If there is a coffee grinder, then the mill is useless. The presence of the harvester eliminates the need to use a chopping bowl. If there is a powerful mixer, then a nozzle for making dough is not required.
- Gear shifting. The maximum number of speeds for a submersible model is 24. But no more than 5-7 speeds are considered optimal. Well, if the blender can change the speed using a smooth controller;
- Noise and weight. The submersible model will have to be constantly held in hands. From too heavy a blender you will quickly get tired, it will be inconvenient to work with it. Check how much the weight of the model suits you. Ask the store to enable the selected option. If you hear an unpleasant hum, you should not buy. Using such a blender will be uncomfortable due to noise;
- Extra little things. The complex may include a stand, a special wall mount, thanks to which it is convenient to store a blender. Using a measuring cup, it is convenient to measure the required number of products. And the rubber handle allows you to conveniently and firmly hold the blender in your hands.
Advantages and disadvantages
The advantages of a hand blender include:
- You can grind a small amount of food quickly;
- Multifunctionality of the device;
- The small size of the blender allows you to store it conveniently. Takes up little space.
Among the shortcomings can be noted:
- Not suitable for making cocktails;
- Many models require regular rest;
- It is difficult for them to grind large portions of products.
How to choose a stationary blender
When choosing a stationary blender, it is worth considering the following indicators:
- Power. For many models, this figure is 500-900 watts. There are blenders with a capacity of 1300 watts. It is worth buying models with an indicator of 750-900 watts. They will be able to work efficiently and for a long time;
- Knives. The more blades there are, the faster the blender will grind products. If the blades are bent they mix more thoroughly and more evenly than a knife with straight blades. Choose those made of stainless steel;
- The volume of the jug. The maximum volume of products that can be prepared at a time depends on it. The size of the jug can be from 1 to 2 liters. A larger amount should be chosen when preparing soups and cocktails for several servings;
- Base. Its weight and width matter. The higher these indicators, the more stable the device will become when used. This is especially true when applying high speed. The base legs should be made of rubber. This will make the blender even more stable;
- Material. The jug is made of glass, plastic, metal and composite material. The latter option is most preferred due to its quality, lightness and stability. However, its cost is high. The base is made of plastic and stainless steel. The latter are more expensive, but differ in more durable and reliable indicators;
- Speed. The indicator varies from 1 to 30. The higher the speed, the faster the products will be crushed. Choose blenders with 4-6 speeds. Such models are able to cope well with most tasks;
- Control Panel. Touch is easier to care for, but such a model will cost more. Mechanical control is more familiar and convenient for many housewives.
Advantages and disadvantages
Among the advantages of the stationary model can be noted:
- The blender processes the products on its own. You just need to download them, select the speed and press the button;
- It is easy to chop ice;
- The jug has a special nozzle through which it is convenient to pour cocktails.
The disadvantages of this model are:
- They are larger than submersible models;
- Such a blender is not suitable to grind vegetables;
- You cannot grind a small amount of food. It will simply be distributed along the walls of the device and the knives will not reach them.
How to choose the right blender for home - the universal option
When buying, you should pay attention to:
- Choose a bowl equipped with a spout. This will make it easier to drain the prepared mixture;
- It is advisable to choose models with a rubber, soft power button. This option is more convenient;
- Stationary models are worth buying with a self-cleaning function;
- Choose models that are equipped with surge protection and overheating functions.
Baby food blender how to choose
A blender-steamer is an excellent device for preparing baby food. In it you can not only grind products, but also cook them. Food processed with steam is filled with vitamins and minerals necessary for the baby.
A mini blender is suitable if you are going to cook food only for crumbs. A convenient option of small size and power allows you to prepare one serving of mashed potatoes for a child.
When choosing a model for preparing a child’s nutrition, consider:
- Plastic parts should not come in contact with food;
- It is better if there are several speed modes;
- The presence of different nozzles. Choose those made of metal. They are more durable than plastic.
Which blender is suitable for smoothies?
When choosing a suitable blender for smoothies, consider the following parameters:
- It is better to buy a stationary or combined model. Having a bowl is pretty important. Submersible blender may not make a homogeneous mass of products with different hardness;
- The power of the model should be at least 800 watts. A turbo mode appliance is best for smoothies;
- The knives of the model must be of high quality. Therefore, choose a reliable and well-known manufacturer;
- The appliance should have a bowl with a large volume. At least 1.5 liters It does not have to be glass. After all, only smooth foods are used for smoothies.
Which blender is right for meat?
For meat, you must choose a device with a minimum power of 600 watts. When using a stationary blender, you must first cut the meat into pieces. There are models with a built-in mincemeat function. However, a stationary appliance finely chopped products, and not turned into minced meat.
Submersible models allow you to cook minced meat quickly. You just need to download the prepared product and wait a few minutes. At the same time, it is necessary to grind meat in small portions. This will avoid getting lumps in minced meat.
What to look for when choosing a blender. Expert Advice
Experts say that there are a number of important parameters that you must pay attention to when choosing a blender.
The functionality of the device depends on this parameter. The stronger the power, the more features the blender has. At 200 watts, the instrument handles soft projects. If you are going to grind food harder, you should choose more power. A blender with a value of 600 watts or more will cope even with ice.
The material of the bowl
To make the bowl, metal, plastic or a combination of materials is used. In the first case, a durable container is obtained, which is easy to care for. The metal case will cost more, and it is quite heavy. A plastic bowl is cheaper, it is lightweight. But you can’t grind hot soup in it. The case will not withstand high temperatures, its deformation will occur. In the combined version, the bowl is made of metal, and its handles are plastic. The average value of weight and cost makes this model optimal.
This indicator can vary from 300 ml to 2 liters. It’s worth choosing depending on how much and how much you are going to cook. More common are models with a bowl volume of 1-2 liters. If you plan to prepare cocktails and smoothies, select the maximum capacity.
Various products must be ground at different speeds. There can be up to 12 modes in one model. The speed switch can be stepwise, there is a turbo mode and impulsive. Turbo mode helps protect the motor from overheating, which extends the life of the device.
Care and cleaning of the blender
The advantage of the model will be if you take it apart and wash it easily. This will greatly simplify the care of her. Some stationary appliances have the option of self-cleaning. Fill the bowl with warm water and press the cleaning button. It is enough to lower the submersible blender into water and turn it on for a couple of seconds. The main thing is to do everything carefully so as not to cut yourself about the knives.
Conclusion Conclusions from the article
When choosing a blender, regardless of its type, it is worth considering the power, the presence of nozzles, weight, speed modes and the material from which the device is made. The capacity of the bowl is also important. It is worth starting from individual preferences. Cooking in a blender is easy, and taking care of it is easy.