Many in the house have a mattress cover, it protects the mattress from pollution. To find out if it can be washed, you should examine the product label. This is very important, as improper washing can lead to damage to the mattress cover. From the label you will learn about the washing mode recommended by the manufacturer, the ability to stain and the temperature of ironing.
Important! Pay attention to what fabric the product is sewn from. The frequency of washing, water temperature will depend on this.
If the label is missing, then use only warm water, not higher than 30 degrees.
Hand wash (mattress cover) mattress cover by hand
Preliminary stain and dirt removal
Most mattress covers can be washed at home. If there are spots and dirt on the product, they should be removed before washing. There may be spots on the mattress pad from urine, blood, cosmetics.
- Withdraw urine stains You can mix salt and lemon juice. One dining room a spoonful of salt mixed with the juice of one lemon. The resulting composition is applied to the stain. for 2-3 hoursthen removed with a damp sponge. The same spots are well removed with a solution of laundry soap, dry baby powder. Fresh impurities can be removed with cold water simply by washing the surface.
- Blood stains are removed with hydrogen peroxide.. The liquid is poured onto a dirty surface and collected with a damp cloth. If necessary, repeat the procedure several times.
- Lipstick stains well removed with a cotton pad moistened with ammonia.
- Red wine pollution excreted with salt and soda. The mixture is applied to the stain for 30 minutes, the residue is removed with a damp sponge.
- Oily stains can be disposed of using salt, potato starch or talc. One of these products is applied for 30 minutes.
- Pollution from coffee, tea, juices removed by table vinegar.
After removing stains, proceed with washing.
Washing the mattress pad in the washing machine
Features of the mattress pad filler
Before washing, you need to make sure that the mattress cover can really be removed. It happens that when buying you are assured of this, but in reality there are difficulties.
You should ask the seller to remove the mattress cover and see if it is easy enough. Mattress covers can be with different fillers: cotton, synthetic, woolen, waterproof.
To choose the right product, you should know its main characteristics. Cotton mattress toppers are hypoallergenic, environmentally friendly. Synthetic can be washed often. Woolen products make the mattress soft and comfortable.
Attention! Different types of fillers require a specific approach to washing.
How to wash a waterproof mattress cover
Before you buy a waterproof mattress cover, make sure it can be machine washed. Otherwise, it will have to be cleaned every time. In a waterproof mattress cover there is a moisture resistant membrane. Such a product needs regular washing, as contamination will lead to the fact that the protective properties are lost. Mattress covers are often used for patients, so washing is necessary.
When washing a waterproof mattress cover it is forbidden:
- use powder and other crystalline detergents, as the pores of the fabric may clog;
- apply temperature conditions above 40 degrees and boiling out;
- wring the product;
- dry on a battery;
- to iron;
- use conditioners, conditioners, stain removers.
- for washing use liquid detergents;
- stains should be washed with soap;
- the mattress pad is pressed manually, but without twisting.
Drying the product is recommended in the fresh air, preferably in the shade. The fibers of the waterproof mattress cover should be treated from time to time with impregnations that restore water permeability.
How to wash a wool mattress pad
Woolen clothes need special care. For light soiling, you can use a sponge moistened with a wool cleaner. The product is diluted with warm water. Dirty woolen mattress cover is better to carry in dry cleaning.
If you decide to wash it yourself, you should follow some rules. The washing machine mode must be set to "delicate wash", or "wool". Water temperature is not more than 30 degrees.
For washing, special tools with lanolin are suitable. The mattress pad will be soft and elastic. Do not twist and wring the woolen product. Press on the straightened cover on both sides. Dry only horizontally. You can iron only mattress covers without fillers.
How to wash a cotton mattress pad
- a cotton mattress topper may “sit down” when washed in hot water. It is washed at a temperature 40 degrees in a typewriter or hands;
- if during washing the filler strayed into lumps, then it must be carefully straightened;
- a natural cotton mattress cover can be ironed. If there is a filler, then the iron should be warm;
- after the mattress cover has dried out of any tissue, it can be left in the sun in order to combat pathogenic microbes;
- Covers from a children's mattress should be washed only with detergents recommended for children.
It should be remembered that the mattress cover is bought to protect the mattress. The better the material, the better. And proper care will ensure products have a long life.
A video will also be useful to you: