Often today they prefer to sheathe the doors in the apartment with a laminate. It is quite convenient and practical. And the special texture of the material makes the style very unusual. We will tell you how to do such a door decoration with your own hands.
Peculiarity of laminate cladding
For many, it will be unusual that the laminate is used not only to cover the floor, but also for wall cladding, doors and even furniture. All this is possible due to the universal design of this material.
Multilayer tiles are very easy to learn, and due to their durability, they are not afraid of bumps or scratches..
An important factor in choosing exactly the laminate during decoration is its price. For comparison, if you use a laminated MDF card for the same purposes as a laminate, buying the latter will be at least two times cheaper.
Which laminate to use for door trim
Before choosing any particular type of material, you should study the gradation of quality.
In total, there are 6 classes of material for ordinary consumers. For residential premises, mainly laminate of 21-23 classes is used. For offices the 31-33rd class is applied.
IMPORTANT! The higher the grade, the greater the impact resistance, and the material is less susceptible to wear.
There is also a 34th class, it is distinguished by tremendous wear resistance and durability, but the price for it is corresponding.
So, for the door we choose from 21-23 classes
Together with the strength of the material, the thickness also increases. Starting from 6 mm, it reaches 12 for the most shock-resistant variations.
IMPORTANT! For door decoration, the simplest tile, with a thickness of not more than 7-8 mm, is suitable.
Since the doors are not subjected to strong impacts or high loads, it is not advisable to buy an expensive and wear-resistant coating. but pay attention to water-repellent material.
As for the choice of sizes, first you need to decide how the door will be trimmed - along or across the canvas.
To vertically sheathe a door can only be done since the longest planks reach only 1,500 mm, which is too small for vertical cladding. That is why For finishing, a coating of about 1200 mm in length and a standard width is suitable.
Sheathing materials and tools
The main material will be laminate. Since the tiles are very malleable, they can be cut with an electric jigsaw, a grinder, and a saw.
The easiest and most obvious way is a jigsaw, but it makes jagged edgesthat spoils the appearance somewhat. therefore to fix flaws during carving, decorative corners can come in handy.
In addition to the cutting tool, for work you need:
- hammer drill;
- scissors for metal.
And Persistent glue and self-tapping screws may be required.
How to sheathe a door
The iron door is much it is more convenient to sheathe the laminate from the inside, so before working it should be removed from the hinges.
ATTENTION! The laminate must not be allowed to touch steel surfaces, as this can ruin the appearance of the material.
- For insulation, foil penofol should be used.. In addition to preserving the appearance, this gasket allows for sound insulation.
- Before work, the material must be processed, namely degrease and prime the surface.
- When installing the slats, you should remember that the measurement in width is not flush, but slightly less by 1-2 mm. This place is necessary for the subsequent decorative corner. He can also hide the flaws that occurred during the cutting of the material.
- Then the strips are screwed around the perimeter using self-tapping screws.
IMPORTANT! Before tightening the screw, a hole should be drilled in the laminate, otherwise the material may burst.
- After the first bar is screwed in, the following should be attached to it. Laminate strips are inserted into the grooves. To make the structure denser, you may need a mallet.
IMPORTANT! During docking, do not use too much force, there is a chance to break the spike or groove of the bar.
- According to the above technology, the entire door leaf is trimmed. Difficulties can arise only in the area of the door handle and lock. When the tile reaches the keyhole, holes should be drilled on the material, repeating its shape. Then, the file should process the resulting form.
- The lower and upper tiles should be fixed with screws with a pitch of 200-300 mm from the upper and lower edges, respectively.
- After the laminate has completely covered the door leaf, decorative corners should be fixed, which will hide the flaws during cutting and screwed-in screws.
- Corners should be measured and adjusted. They need to be screwed in with screws, but from the front side of the door. If the corner is made of plastic, you can use glue instead of screws.