Progress does not stand still and today an impressive number of devices have been invented that can significantly simplify a person’s life. One of these devices is a thermos.
The market offers a wide range of diverse thermoses that differ from each other in general characteristics, volume, price and quality.
It is very important not to get lost in all this variety of brands and make the right choice. But what if the thermos, which served faithfully, suddenly stopped holding heat? Consider this issue deeper and try to find solutions to the problem.
Why doesn’t the thermos hold heat?
There is quite a bit of information on the Internet about why the thermos suddenly stopped holding heat - some suggestions and reasoning.
A large number of people say that at first the thermos coped well with its direct duties, but then suddenly it stopped holding heat. Why is this happening? There may be several reasons for this.
- Broken cork. The most common cause of a device malfunction. Either the cork was originally of mediocre quality, or it was twisted too much, which caused deformation and cracks. Checking how tight the lid is is very simple. It is enough to turn the thermos over and make sure that liquid does not leak through the closed cover.
- As for dishes with a glass bulb, here the cause may be a poor-quality silver coating. In most cases, this is a factory defect, since it is quite difficult to scratch it due to its location. A silver coating is located outside the inner cylinder and is protected by a vacuum and housing.
- Lack of vacuum. If we examine the issue in more detail, then under the outer bottom of the thermos there is also an inner one. On the inner bottom there is a thin copper tube with a rather flattened end. It is through this hole in the production that air is pumped out of the thermos using a special pump.
Because of what, a thermos loses its heat-saving properties
Thermos - dishes are very delicate, requiring a careful attitude to themselves. During operation, it is strictly forbidden to drop the thermos, to allow strong impacts on other surfaces. This is especially true for dishes with a glass flask, which, if used improperly, can burst.
In addition, it should be remembered that in a thermos brought from the cold should not immediately pour hot drinks. It is necessary to allow the dishes to warm up and only then use. The manufacturer, as a rule, prescribes this nuance in the instructions for the dishes.
Is it worth repairing a thermos
In most cases, the owner of a failed thermos does not think about repairing it and acquires a new one. It would seem, well, how can I repair it?
Depending on the breakdown that occurred, you can find a way to restore the thermos and use it further. If the problem is in the lid, it will be enough to choose a suitable cork for dishes. It will not be difficult to do this, as many people sell their faulty thermoses for a purely symbolic cost.
If the thermos does not function due to a violated vacuum, then it can be restored by contacting a refrigerator repair service. The master pumps out the accumulated air through a copper pipe, and its tip is sealed. But this method is best used if the thermos was expensive. As for the cheaper models, then it’s better to think about buying new dishes. Otherwise, repairs run the risk of costing more than a thermos.
Important! If silverware is damaged on dishes with a glass bottle, it is advisable to think about buying a new thermos. The thing is that this failure with a high probability will not work out.
Thermos Buying Tips
It is impossible to check the dishes before buying. Here it is worth relying on the brand of thermos and its price. A more expensive sample is likely to be better than cheaper counterparts. Therefore, it is better to give preference to a well-known brand that has established itself well.
- Before buying, you must carefully inspect the thermos. Check how tight the lid fits, whether the dishes are making extraneous sounds.
- Smell, a quality thermos will not have an unpleasant smell.
- You should pay attention to the quality of the material from which the dishes are made. If the material is in doubt, looks unreliable and fragile, it is better to refuse the purchase.
- For long trips, it is recommended to choose a large volume thermos. It retains heat for much longer.
- Siphon models have one significant minus. They retain heat worse due to the characteristics of the cork. It is not completely airtight.
- It is better to give preference to models made of stainless steel. They hold heat better than counterparts made of low-cost plastic.
- An important role is played by the material of the flask. Thermoglass cools down more slowly due to the silver coating.
Thermos Operation Tips
Before filling the thermos with hot liquid, it must be prepared. To do this, a small amount of hot water is taken, poured into a thermos and left for several minutes.
This procedure is done to warm up the welds, in order to avoid a strong temperature difference inside the bulb. Even a metal thermos should not be thrown or hit. Nothing will break in it, unlike a thermos with a glass flask. But from weld seams can give a microcrack, this is fraught with a violation of the vacuum inside the dishes.
Attention! In no case do not get a thermos from your hands or in the subway. The chance to buy low-quality dishes is great enough, and no one will be held responsible for the quality of the goods.
Choosing a good thermos is simple enough, you should only adhere to the basic recommendations described in this article. No need to save and choose a cheaper option.
It is better to purchase a more expensive thermos, which will last more than one year. And of course, no one has canceled the rules for the operation of this variety of dishes. The more carefully handle the thermos, following the instructions, the longer it will maintain its performance and will not cease to maintain the desired temperature of liquids.