A lot of people suffer from serious vision problems. And one of the best modern ways out of this situation is the use of contact lenses.
Most people find it difficult to decide to start wearing them because of many fears. In particular, many are interested in whether contact lenses are harmful and what advantages and disadvantages they have.
Contact Lenses - Pros and Cons
Among the advantages of contact lenses are:
- appearance. Everyone strives to look attractive. And many who have poor eyesight are not very positive about wearing glasses. Thanks to the lenses, you can successfully solve this problem. In addition, they can be not only standard, but also colored. This will change the color of the eyes. At the same time, lenses affect not only the appearance, but also the psychological comfort of a person for the better. If he wore discomfort when wearing glasses, he was uncomfortable, then having removed them, he will be able to feel much more confident;
- no influence of weather and temperature. If on the street, rain drops do not fall on the lenses and do not cause discomfort. In the winter season, you can safely go into the room from the street, because unlike glasses, lenses will not fog up. They do not fall, do not press. In addition, choosing sunglasses with special glasses is quite difficult. And with lenses such problems can be easily avoided;
- help to achieve natural vision. Eyes and lenses are in close contact with each other. And when the pupil moves, the lens begins to move after it. Moreover, the direction of view is always through the center. It is in this area that the lens has the highest possible optical power. This allows you to not distort the image when moving the eyes when wearing lenses. There is an opportunity to see everything as you would see everything with your own eyes. With excellent vision;
- appears opportunity no inconvenience engage in active sports, dancing and hiking.
In addition to the positive aspects, lenses have a number of disadvantages that must be considered before you decide to wear them.
Among the negative signs can be noted:
- the lens is located in the eye. There are impressionable people who fall into real horror after learning that a foreign object will be applied to the eyeball. Also, not everyone likes the prospect of touching the eye at least 2 times a day. All of these are psychological barriers to wearing lenses;
- quite complicated care. They must be constantly and carefully looked after. Wash your hands before touching them. Items used for them should always be kept clean. Constantly change the solution, the containers in which they are lying, drops and the lenses themselves. They need to be as clean as possible when you are trying to put on. After all, even a speck of a tiny size will be palpable and deliver a lot of unpleasant sensations. If you use cosmetics, then it should be of good quality, intended for eyes with increased sensitivity;
- Do not allow contact with dust, liquid, etc.. You can not take a shower in the lenses. It is recommended to completely eliminate the possibility of running water falling on them. After all, calcareous deposits provoke active reproduction of bacteria. Smoky, dusty rooms should also be avoided. Smoke from tobacco provokes disturbances in the optical properties of the lens. Any fine dust can damage the lens;
- lens cost. They are considered one of the most expensive ways to correct vision. If you purchase glasses, even with expensive frames, you can use them for a long time. Lenses need to be changed regularly. In addition, you will constantly have to buy special contact lens care products, new containers, eye drops and more.
Are contact lenses harmful?
Many people wonder if contact lenses will harm the eyes. The risk of causing any damage is minimal. At the same time, it is important to properly care for the lenses and follow the instructions for their use. Only in this case can we expect that there will be no harm to the eyes.
Important! Suitable contact lenses can only be done by a specialist. He will tell about all the rules of care and use. It is not worth it to choose suitable lenses yourself.
It is worth noting that lenses help to reduce the amount of oxygen that enters the optic cornea. This can provoke an increased risk of certain difficulties with the organ of vision. If the recommendations of a specialist are not followed, lenses can cause damage to the eyes. For example, when worn longer than expected, as a result of the lack of disinfection or regular replacement.
But if you follow the rules and look after the lenses, the risk that you can harm the health of the eyes is minimal.
To whom contact lenses are contraindicated
Even high-quality lenses and compliance with all the rules of care and wearing sometimes do not save you from an uncomfortable feeling. It may arise due to certain restrictions, in connection with which it is contraindicated to wear lenses:
- the presence of a chronic form of allergy;
- the cornea of the eye is sensitive. It applies to both increased and decreased;
- there is an inflammatory process in acute form, proceeding in the anterior chamber of the eye;
- the presence of inflammation of the eyes of an infectious nature;
- diseases such as conjunctivitis, keratitis or blepharitis are observed;
- disturbances in the work of the sebaceous glands;
- obstruction formed in the tear ducts;
- asthma or other diseases associated with the respiratory system;
- uncompensated glaucoma.
In addition, with colds, flu, AIDS, wearing lenses is also not recommended. The reason for this is a weakened immune system and a decrease in the outflow of tears. This provokes damage to contact lenses, which in turn will damage the organs of vision. When taking certain medications, it is also forbidden to wear lenses, since these drugs cause a feeling of dryness and fog in the eyes.
Tips for wearing lenses comfortably
For comfortable wearing lenses should take into account all of the above disadvantages and advantages. For convenient and safe use, it is recommended:
- The lenses that the specialist has chosen for you should be tested within a week. If there are any inconvenience or problems during this period, you should re-contact a specialist;
- Do not wash lenses with running water, saliva, or any liquid other than specialized. Otherwise, a suitable environment for the development of bacteria will appear;
- the lens container must be replaced with a new one every six months and cleaned regularly;
- if the type of contact lenses is not intended for sleeping, be sure to remove them before going to bed;
- if you notice any signs of eye irritation, you should immediately consult a doctor;
- if there is a strong wind outside, it is better to wear sunglasses that will not allow dust to get into your eyes and contact lenses.
Important! Before determining whether to wear contact lenses, you must definitely visit a specialist.
An ophthalmologist will not only advise you and answer all questions, but will also prescribe the most suitable contact lenses. You only need to follow all the rules of care and wearing lenses so that they do not cause you discomfort.