Contact lenses have long established themselves as a convenient means of correcting visual impairment. Most people who first decided to purchase soft optics experience difficulties associated with the process of fixing it in front of their eyes. It affects the person’s fear of encountering pain in the sensory organ, damage to the lens due to a lack of experience when putting on.
Fears disappear if you familiarize yourself with information that teaches you how to properly use contact lenses to avoid possible problems. Information material will also be useful to lens owners who had to take a long break in wearing.
Rules for using contact lenses for people doing this for the first time
Important! Contact lenses for first use should be purchased only after consultation with an ophthalmologist, as there are several contraindications:
- eye allergy;
- obstruction of the lacrimal canal;
- violation of the composition of the tear fluid;
- infectious diseases.
Dress Up Contact Lenses
The first fitting of lenses should take place under the supervision of a physician in compliance with the following rules:
- Thoroughly clean the hands with a neutral soap, dry with a towel that does not leave fibers or under a stream of warm air.
- Remove the lens from the container with silicone tweezers, put on the pillow of the index finger. Inspect the contact lens in bright light for the presence of microcracks, dirt, uneven edges.
- A defective soft optics product is replaced. A lens with small fibers on the surface is cleaned under the stream of a special solution. The lens, turned inside out, is given the desired position, otherwise it will soon fall out of the eye.
- It is advisable to carry out all actions sitting at the table, in front of you close the mirror. The table top should be clean so that it does not get dirty in the event of a lens fall.
- Before applying means of contact correction to the visual organ, it is necessary to open the eyelids. This can be achieved by pulling down the lower skin fold around the eye with a finger. At the same time, they look up, the lens is applied to the lower region of the eyeball under the pupil. The index finger is taken away from the lens, the eyes are lowered to the lower position, the fold is released. For better fixation, it is recommended to hold a few eyes with closed eyelids, then blink them slightly.
- For novice users it will seem convenient to push the eyelids with two fingers before installing the lens. In this situation, the upper skin fold is pulled up from the eye by the middle finger of the left hand, the lower one is pulled down by the middle finger of the right hand. The lens is applied with the index finger of the same brush. The eyelids are recommended to hold for some time in such positions, look first down, then to the left and right sides, only then release the eyelids.
If the installation process of soft optics is carried out correctly, there should be no sensation of the presence of a foreign object in the ocular organs.
Remove contact lenses
It is not difficult to remove the lenses if you try to comply with the following recommendations:
- You need to look up. Gently lower the lower eyelid better with the middle finger, and use the index finger to move the lens from its previous position.
- Use two fingers to gently squeeze the lens. Unacceptably strong clamping, this can lead to bonding.
- Remove the product, place it in the compartment of the case, fill it with a special solution.
Attention! For new-made lens wearers, it’s important to develop a habit: use the same lens constantly for each eye. In this situation, the design of cases for storing lenses helps, in which the right and left compartments are equipped with covers of different colors with imprints of the letters R, L.
How to use contact lenses without harming your health
Having mastered the basic rules for putting on lenses on the eyes, it is necessary to adhere to the recommendations that help to maintain the health of eyeballs with regular use of soft optics, such as:
- Observe accuracy in putting on, removing lenses, avoid prolonged wearing without interruptions. Otherwise, due to constant irritation of the cornea, erosion patches may develop on it. Over time, persistent clouding on the cornea, a decrease in visual acuity can form.
- Consult an ophthalmologist when changing the type and type of lens. Different types of contact lenses with a single value of the optical power differ in the radius of curvature. The lens will not sit properly on the eyeball if the radius is selected incorrectly. If the landing is too flat or abrupt, surface infiltrates occur, and point surface keratitis develops.
- During illness, do not take medicines that can cause staining of soft optics. You should carefully read the instructions for the use of drugs.
- In cases where a monocular vision correction is prescribed, it is necessary to avoid conditions requiring its tension.
- During pregnancy, wearing lenses is allowed only during the day. In the body of a pregnant woman, changes occur, there are cases of the development of temporary myopia.
- After surgery in front of the eyes, consultation with an ophthalmologist is necessary.
- Contact vision correction can be shown to children from 5 years. The difficulty is teaching the child to wear lenses.
- It is undesirable to take water procedures in the lenses. There is a risk of loss of optics and the likelihood of organic substances falling into the eyes together with water, which settle on the lenses and serve as a nutrient medium for various types of pathogenic bacteria.
- Optical plates should be worn before applying makeup, and removed before removing it. It is recommended to use cosmetics made without aromatic, oil components, waterproof, not crumbling.
- Wearing lenses in adverse environmental conditions has its own characteristics. It is not advisable to use optical plates with a long wearing period in places where there is an increased dustiness of the air and a lack of oxygen. Lenses deteriorate quickly. The preferred option is one-day lenses.
The health of eyes that experience continuous exposure to lens contact is largely dependent on the care they provide.
Caring for contact lenses is quite simple, just follow the simple rules:
- Store lenses in a special case.
- Use a solution for disinfection, storage of soft optics, purchased only at a pharmacy or specialized center.
- Strictly follow the instructions for the multifunctional solution.
- Change the disinfectant liquid in the container daily.
- Rinse the case daily, dry.
- Replace the case once a month.
Read more about lens care here.
How to choose contact lenses
Only a doctor will help you choose the right lens model. Before a visit to an ophthalmologist, it’s still useful to master the information regarding the question: “How is the selection of a suitable soft optics product”. First, the doctor evaluates:
- fundus condition;
- degree of visual acuity;
- corneal curvature;
- general condition of the eye.
Then, the contactologist offers a suitable lens option, according to the patient:
- wearing mode;
- replacement time;
- type of design.
Read more - how to choose a lens here.