A fireplace or stone stove will inevitably become covered with soot over time, which subsequently can adversely affect the kindling or lead to a deplorable outcome. In addition, soot can spoil the appearance by staining the light stones with a black coating.
Why do you need to clean the stove and chimneys from soot
If you neglect the cleaning, then the thickness of the deposits of soot and soot can grow up to several tens of centimeters. This can provoke:
- rapid abrasion of the walls (cracking);
- deterioration in traction and low smoke permeability;
- increased fuel consumption due to lower efficiency;
- the process of ignition in the chimney.
How to understand that oven cleaning is necessary
The accumulation of soot and soot directly depends on the frequency of operation and the choice of firewood for ignition.
REFERENCE! Frequent use of raw logs speeds up the formation of blockages.
If the smoke starts to pass and accumulate during the kindling, and more firewood is required, this is evidence that it is time to clean the stove from soot and soot. Another dangerous evidence of the need for furnace cleaning is sparks flying out of it.
It is also necessary to pay attention to the smoke exiting through the pipe. If it is transparent or white, then there is no blockage, but when gray and black smoke appears from the chimney, this is evidence of contamination of the furnace and chimney. Cleaning is necessary when the light orange fire turns bright orange.
How to clean soot from the oven
You can clean the oven in various ways. Among them, the chemical and mechanical methods are distinguished. Dry cleaning of the furnace is carried out when the thickness of the soot reaches no more than 0.5 cm and is carried out using:
- Substances produced in enterprises and designed specifically to control soot. They are produced in the form of powders, liquids and in the form of bars imitating firewood. The composition of such mixtures includes aggressive components that affect plaque - ammonium sulfate, phosphorus oxide and others. Such funds not only combat the existing plaque, but also help to avoid the formation of soot.
- Naphthalene. The powder is poured into a well-heated oven with fuel. If naphthalene is in tablet form, then 1 tablet is used for kindling. Evaporating, naphthalene vapors act on soot, leading to its destruction. At the same time, an unpleasant smell is felt in the room. Therefore, to clean soot from fireplaces and other open hearths, the product is not much in demand.
- Aluminum For preventive purposes, you can use an aluminum can, which is thrown into the furnace for every tenth kindling.
- Aspen firewood. In a preheated oven, put 2 medium-sized logs. The combustion temperature of aspen wood is much higher than the temperature of the rest of the flue material. This means that combustion in the furnace will take longer, which will lead to the burning of soot deposited on the walls. The method is applicable only for small deposits, and is carried out 2 times during the week. If aspen firewood is used for large soot deposits, fire may occur.
- A mixture prepared independently at home. To do this, you need to mix 50% coke (medium size), 30% copper sulphate and 20% nitrate. To clean the oven, at least 200 grams must be added. mixtures. Cleaning with this composition is carried out 1 time in 15 days.
- Peeling potatoes. 4-5 kg of dried potato peelings are introduced into the oven. The starch contained in them, well softens the coating on the walls of the furnace, which leads to the collapse of soot. Powdered starch can be used. 1 tbsp. l substances.
- Walnut shells. At a time, no more than 3 liters of shell can be added to the furnace.
- Rock salt. 2 tablespoons of salt are added to the oven when it is ignited. Vapors from combustion are able to soften soot and contribute to its exfoliation.
Mechanical cleaning of the chimney is necessary at least once a year, especially before the heating season. Such a need arises not only because of the deposits of soot formed during the burning of firewood, but also because of the debris caused by the wind. In addition, in the warm season, when the stove is not used, bird nests may appear in the chimney. Cleaning is also used when soot thickness exceeds 0.5 cm.
REFERENCE! The stove is cleaned from above from the roof, and the fireplace from below.
Cleaning is carried out using various tools. If the coating heavily clogged the pipe, then it is recommended to heat the furnace with the addition of substances that soften soot before the procedure.
IMPORTANT! After the furnace is melted with components that soften the soot, it is necessary to cool it and cover it with a damp cloth. Otherwise, the soot lagging behind the walls will fall into the room and will greatly dirty everything around. The furnace door and the blower must be tightly covered. At the same time, the slate opens to its full size.
After that it is applied:
- a core on a thick rope that will bring soot down (the diameter of the core is no more than ½ of the opening of the chimney pipe);
- ruffs, hard brushes and other scrapers;
- a cable having a handle for rotation;
- strong rope.
ATTENTION! Chimney cleaning work should be carried out only in daylight and in favorable weather without wind and rain. The work is carried out using the roof ladder, and if possible, for safety reasons, a protective fence is installed.
When using the core, it should be remembered that it can not be rotated strongly, otherwise it can damage the walls of the chimney. The load is used only for vertical lowering for punching a layer of soot. The furnace is cleaned at the end of the process when the chimney is completely cleaned.
At present, you can find a vacuum cleaner on sale, which will quickly and efficiently cope with the task. But the disadvantage of the device is its high cost.